6WIND Software Selected by Tier 1 Network Operators and OEMs for Cost-Effective Security and VPN Solutions
Scalable Server-based Software Right Sizes Security Price/Performance
Santa Clara, CA, March 8, 2016 – 6WIND, a high-performance networking software company, today announced that Tier 1 Network Operators and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) selected 6WIND’s IPsec software to create scalable and cost-effective IPsec Gateways and VPNs on standard commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) servers. Customers select 6WIND IPsec solutions according to specific requirements:
- 6WINDGate™ packet processing software: Source code for developers to build and customize security solutions with unique market differentiation, including portability across hardware platforms to future proof architecture designs
- 6WIND Turbo IPsec™ software appliances: Ready-to-use IPsec software to be deployed in bare metal and virtual machine configurations
IPsec is a necessary security technology for Telco, Cloud and Enterprise Network Operators as it is used to create secure tunnels between trusted endpoints for services. To meet small, medium, and large networks’ encryption performance requirements, 6WIND’s 6WINDGate and Turbo IPsec software on standard servers offers a cost-effective, flexible alternative to specialized, expensive IPsec Gateway hardware solutions. Performance scales linearly with the number of cores applied to the software starting at 5 Gbps per core on x86 servers, with recent benchmarks demonstrating 150 Gbps in bare metal and virtual machine deployments.
6WIND’s IPsec software displaced incumbent purpose-built IPsec Gateway solutions as it is less than 1/2 the price per Gbps of encrypted traffic versus specialized hardware, scales linearly per core on demand and can virtualize VPN solutions in NFV configurations. Application use cases for 6WINDGate and 6WIND Turbo IPsec software customers include:
- Tier-1 US Telco Operator secures remote customer access
- Tier-1 European Telco Operator secures high speed communication between its data centers
- Several major Telco OEMs secure 4G mobile infrastructure for both bare metal and NFV deployments
- Tier-1 US Network OEM provides high performance IPsec VPN services in aggregation routers
- Major US and APAC Network OEMs embed IPsec services into Intrusion Detection/Intrusion Prevention Systems (IDS/IPS)
- Tier-1 Japanese OEM secures country-wide infrastructure for public services
“IPsec Gateways are necessary technology for Network Operators who want to offer secure connectivity services to their customers, but specialized hardware solutions can be very expensive,” said Eric Carmès, CEO and Founder of 6WIND. “6WIND’s high performance IPsec software on standard servers is less than 1/2 the price per Gbps of encrypted traffic versus specialized hardware, making network security affordable and scalable for all size networks.”
On March 9 at 8 am Pacific Time, Light Reading, 6WIND and HPE will offer a Webinar on “High Performance Server-based IPsec for Cloud and Telecom Providers.” To register for the Webinar, visit: http://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=574&webinar_promo=817
6WIND’s commercial software solves performance challenges for network vendors in telecom, enterprise and cloud infrastructure markets. The company’s 6WINDGate™ packet processing software is optimized for cost-effective hardware running Linux with a choice of multicore processors to deliver a wide variety of networking and security protocols and features. Based on 6WINDGate, 6WIND Virtual Accelerator™ provides accelerated virtual networking infrastructure and 6WIND Turbo Router™ and 6WIND Turbo IPsec™ are software appliances for bare metal or virtual machine environments. By solving critical data plane performance challenges on multicore architectures, 6WIND delivers a cost-effective value proposition, enabling the transition to the future with Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and Software-Defined Networking (SDN). 6WIND is based near Paris, France with regional offices in China, Japan, South Korea and the United States. For more information, visit http://6wind.com.